The dreaded intestinal parasites in puppies

The dreaded intestinal parasitosis can cause serious health problems in puppies, hence it is necessary to take action as soon as possible for deworming.

(we highly recommend to read: Protect your dog and FORGET THE PARASITES.

It is often the mother herself that transmits the intestinal parasites to the puppy, whether it was still in the womb or during lactation. Other times, they have acquired them by ingestion of fleas (such as Dipylidium caninum) or have been infected by contact with other animals. These worms can alter the correct growth of the puppy, causing, in addition, problems in the tissues. Even more serious cases can end the puppy’s life.

Parasites can be of various types:

  • Roundworms or worms. They are the most common among the young. The most common are Toxocara, Trichuris and Ancylostoma.
  • Flatworms. The best known are the ‘Tenia’ and ‘Dipylidium caninum’.

What are the symptoms of intestinal parasitosis?

The clearest evidence that our puppy has intestinal parasites are intestinal diarrhea (liquid, or with mucus and blood) and vomiting. Symptoms of malnutrition, anorexia, bulging belly, anemia, anal itching, loss of vitality and vitality, dull and brittle hair also appear. 

According to the parasite, can also cause pneumonia and respiratory or nervous problems, as some larvae move through the animal’s body, affecting other organs.

They are very difficult to locate; The symptoms appear when the parasitosis is already very advanced. Therefore, if we believe that our pet has parasites we must go immediately to the veterinarian for deworming. This will recommend the intake of pills, syrups or pastes.

When it reaches the year of age, it is important that we get used to taking it to the veterinarian every three months so that it evaluates its state of health and desparasitis.

What steps can we take to prevent its occurrence?

The best way to avoid contagion is to maximize hygiene measures, since, in addition to the dog, we can also become infected. Therefore, it is important that we take a series of measures to prevent the worms from being transmitted to children, who are the most exposed and also the most vulnerable.

  • Remove the feces from the animal and clean the area well afterwards.
  • Avoid touching the puppy’s anus.
  • Wash your hands thoroughly when you have picked or touched the child. Many larvae are located on the animal’s skin; Hence it is important to wash our hands every time we caress.
Via:Mundoanimalia

YOU  MIGHT  LIKE